jt's treehouse

When a boy says he "needs a clubhouse," he needs a clubhouse! Two sturdy oaks later- with assists from family and friends (ifriends, too!)- this clubhouse should have this dad up a tree...and just in time, too!

Friday, April 07, 2006

Deliveries and Fastenal,too...

The postman came to my door this morning bearing two rather heavy boxes from Treehouses.com...

Yes! You have to hold these GLs in your hand to truly appreciate them. The two regular GLs are up top- the left one in the fixed beam bracket, the right (coated) in the sliding beam bracket. The two short GLs are down below, along with the specialized bit and a starter bit.




















Then it was time to wait for the Home Depot delivery, after which I wanted to take the 1/2 hour drive to the nearest Fastenal location to pick out the remaining hardware.

I waited...

...and waited...

...aaand waited some more . Of course they called right after I left for Fastenal, having put my 15 year old, Nate in charge of recieving the delivery. The delivery went off without a hitch.

Then there was Fastenal. Upon entering the store a half hour before closing, the place appeared to have everything one could possibly need under the heading of "fasteners." Bins chock full of nuts and bolts and washers line the aisles to a height of six feet.

But alas, everything I was looking for had to be ordered from their distribution center:

  • 4 1/2"x9" galvenized eye-hook turnbuckles
  • 10 1/2" heavy duty thimbles
  • 4 1/2"x4" forged eye bolts
  • 25 1/2"x6" galvenized carriage bolts
  • 25 1/2" galvenized nuts and washers
  • 4 1 1/4" fine threaded nuts(for GLs)

That's not so bad, really considering I'm not quite ready to roll yet, anyway and I'll be out of town celebrating my BIL's 50th birthday this weekend.

Bad is the fact that the 1/2" wire rope that I need is only sold by the 500' spool at Fastenal. I don't need no stinkin' spool! I only need me some 50 feet. The hunt continues...

Of course, when I got home, that Home Depot order awaited me. Thankfuly I was able to enlist the services of all 6'2" of my guitar playing 15 year old, Nate to help me schlep all that lumber.

jt was dissappointed because he realized that it all too heavy for him to help with. I offered to let him "help" me by tagging along with a hand on the wood "to steer" but jt has always been able to sniff out patronization from a mile away. He pouted until he decided that carrying the joist hangers was indeed something worthwhile. Nate and I hauled the pressure treated stuff to our roofed back patio where we covered it up good with plastic. Then we managed to fit the plywood and remaining lumber into the garage.

How will I ever get that lawn mower out?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home