jt's treehouse

When a boy says he "needs a clubhouse," he needs a clubhouse! Two sturdy oaks later- with assists from family and friends (ifriends, too!)- this clubhouse should have this dad up a tree...and just in time, too!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Happy Birthday, Dad...

We called my father, the "April Fool" down in Florida this morning to wish him a happy birthday. We did our usual four...or five part harmony rendition of "Happy Birthday to You" (we are quite in demand for this, it's true.) however it appeared that pops may have been sleeping when we called.

At first dad seemed awake enough. After wishing him the best I touched on what his day held for him. "We don't do anything different on birthdays anymore." was all he had to offer. I decided to steer the conversation towards something a little more upbeat...Like jt's treehouse!

(Note: Back in the day, after I had moved out of my last "childhood" home, my dad had built a deck around our above ground pool. At the time he was a card carrying member of the Dockbuilders Union. He not only anchored the ledger board to the exposed foundation, he bolted that baby clear through the foundation, securing it from the garage side. Suffice it to say that that deck and ledger board will outlive the house!)

Dad perked up a little when I mentioned the GL's and how they performed. He sounded genuinely impressed and told me one thing before ending our conversation (he didn't want to wake his wife he said...) - "Over-build it when kids are involved."

:gulp: I sure hope we are.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home