jt's treehouse

When a boy says he "needs a clubhouse," he needs a clubhouse! Two sturdy oaks later- with assists from family and friends (ifriends, too!)- this clubhouse should have this dad up a tree...and just in time, too!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A day at Home Depot...

And I do mean, "A Day."

I entered the Huntington Home Depot shortly before noon today and didn't depart until after 8:30PM, having consumed and sweat out just one (1) bottle of water during that time.

In the interim I handled hundreds of pieces of lumber in search of wood befitting our project. I climbed in and out of those racks, pulled out and stacked split, checked, and over-knotted boards. And I put them all back when I was done.

Thanks to the scarcity of quality lumber, I was forced to adapt my plans on the fly. The #2 Fir was hurting, so I had to substitue pressure treated. The 2"x12"x12's were almost non-exsistant, so I settled for 2"x10"s.

Aaaagghh!! My back and knees can testify that that pressure treated stuff weighs a ton.

I filled three barges with:

  • 4 4x4x10s PT
  • 2 4x4x8s PT
  • 4 2x10 x12s PT
  • 6 2x10x10s PT
  • 9 2x8x10s PT
  • 2 2x8x12s PT
  • 12 2x8x10s #2 fir
  • 40 2x4s
  • 3 2x4x12'
  • 3 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood (smooth)
  • 9 4x8 sheets of 5/8" T 1-11 plywood
  • 3 4x8 sheets of 3/4" exterior plywood
  • 1 10' drip strip
  • 16 joist hangers
  • 1 box of 200 2 1/2" all purpose wood screws
  • 1 box of 200 1 1/2" roofing nails
  • 8 1x3x8' #2 pine
  • 5 1x4x12' #2 pine

...and I'm not done. Still working on our decking solution, wood preservative stain colors, and additional hardware.

Kudos to my co-worker, Jennie who works part time at a Home Depot. She gave me the heads up to open a Home Depot line of credit. 0% interest for the first year, AND 10% off the first purchase. Saved me a pretty penny today.

Oh, the above should be delivered tomorrow some time. I can't wait to move it all again.

I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home